5×5: March 11th with Courtney Sproule
Pork Shoulder Breakdown & Braise!
Not yet ready to purchase a half a pig? But would like to take your first steps into breaking down primals? David Padberg of Good Keuken will guide you through the breakdown. Courtney Sproule of din din Supper Club & Catering will guide you through the braise.
Understand basic principles of butchery in order to achieve the cuts you desire, utilize every part of the animal, and save money. Fill your freezer with meat for you and your family!
Class includes a dinner prepared by Sproule, as well as a detailed instruction on one of her favorite recipes: pork shoulder braised in goat’s milk & Lillet with Piment d’Espelette & basil.
First – The Braise:
- why you braise this cut
- how milk and Lillet help tenderize
- flavor building: mirepoix, sweetness, aromatics
- the process: preparing the meat, searing, sweating vegetables, braising, straining & defatting the liquid, pulling the meat, reheating the meat
Second: Building Your Sauce
- concentrating & balancing flavor
- thickening: target consistency and ways to get there
- acid vs fat
Third: The Dish
- planning the steps of the process
- what to serve with the pork (other foods & wine)
- regionality of this flavor profile
When: Tuesday, March 11th, 6:00-9:00 pm
Where: Good Keuken Kitchen at 5031 NE 42nd Ave., Portland, OR 97218
Cost: $95, includes breakdown demo, cooking instruction & recipes, dinner & wine
Register: → SIGN UP TODAY! RSVP to save your seat. Space is limited